This is my mum’s super easy homemade bread recipe. It’s simple and quick, we promise! Even if you’re a beginner in making homemade bread.
Besides numerous photos, we even filmed the whole process of making bread and upload it on our YouTube channel.
This time my mum has used sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and fennel flower seed to sprinkle over bread. But, you can use any other seeds you love.
You will find the answer on questions like, how to store the bread, how long will homemade bread stay fresh, and why is homemade bread healthier, and better than the one you buy in a store.
The recipe is divided into steps, so it’s easier to follow. First, check the list of ingredients you need.
Enjoy and have fun!
P.S. Check our recipe for Bosnian burek, a famous and delicious meat pie.
Also, if you’re traveling to Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina) make sure to book a course in bosnian cooking. This is a great way to experience Sarajevo.
1 g white flour (type 500)
200 ml of yogurt
300 ml of lukewarm water
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sugar
2 bags of dry yeast (1 bag has 7g)
2 tsp of sunflower oil
Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, fennel flower seed, or any other seeds you like.
How to make homemade bread
- Put 2/3 of 1 kg of flour in a bowl. Make a hole in the middle and pour salt, sugar, and yeast.
- In another bowl, mix yogurt and water.
- Pour into a bowl of flour, and mix from the middle to the edges until all the flour is mixed.
- Slightly add the rest of the flour and knead by hand until it stops sticking.
- Sprinkle some flour on the table and place the dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes while adding a little flour.
- When the dough is mixed return it into the pan. Grease the dough with oil by hand.
- Cover and allow the volume to double. How long it will take depends on the temperature in the room (if it is colder, more time).
- Once again knead the dough, and leave it to stay for half an hour.
- After that, sprinkle flour on the work surface and place the dough. Divide it into two pieces and shape into a loaf.
- Put in a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Spread oil on loaves.
- Whisk the egg and coat loaf with egg.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, fennel flower seed. Or some other seeds you like.
- Cover with baking paper.
- Turn the oven to warm to 200 degrees.
- Bake bread for 15 minutes at 200, then reduce to 180 and bake for another half hour.
How to store homemade bread after baking
When your bread is done, it’s very important to leave it to cool down before you store it into a bag. Take the bread out from the pan, and leave it for 20 minutes on wire cooling rack to cool down.
And then you can store it into a plastic or cotton bag.
If you forget to get the bread out of the oven, or you put it immediately into a bag, it will become moist very quickly.
How to keep homemade bread fresh
The secret ingredient of the homemade bread is yogurt. Adding yogurt you will get fresh and pulpy bread. It’s a huge difference in taste if you add it.
Yogurt keeps bread fresh for up to 3 days.
Usually, if I don’t manage to eat bread in 3 days I use it for the next two days to make morning toast.
Homemade bread vs. store-bought
Never regret the time you invest in making bread. Nor the ingredients you use. Homemade bread doesn’t have additives, and it’s far healthier and tastier than the store-bought. Also, it doesn’t last shorter.
In the end, it’s something you have made for yourself and your family, and you need to proud of it.
In short, think about your health all the time, not only during the COVID-19 pandemic. Let the making homemade bread become your routine.
It takes only up to 10-15 minutes to mix all ingredients and knead the dough. And the best part is that you don’t need to have any experience in the kitchen.
This recipe will be super easy even for the beginners who haven’t tried yet to make homemade bread.